It rains in Wales (I thought it was just an English thing)

Category: , , By Peter
Posted April 21.

I made it to Wales! But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Saturday night Katerina (the couchsufer who showed me around Bath during the day) gave me a call and invited me over to her house for dinner. I went over there are was introduced to her 7(!) other roommates.

It's a little ridiculous if you're a student in the UK. Housing costs are so high that even with a huge number of roommates it's expensive living. And you wouldn't be able to afford to just have a couple roommates, you'd need at least 4 or 5 to get a house.

We ended up getting a call from another couchsurfer (from the Czech Republic but studying in Bath as well) and went out for a drink and dinner with her. It was really interesting to here about the Czech Republic, as I don't really know much about it at all.

I was complaining about the hostel and as we were leaving, Katerina offered to let me sleep in the spare room at their flat so I decided to do that instead of spend another uncomfortable night in the hostel.

The next morning I got a text message from yet another Bathian couchsurfer, this one from Estonia, (I had asked her a couple days prior if she was available to suggest some sites in Bath or get a coffee but she didn't get back to me until Sunday) so Katerina and I set off to meet her. Veronika (the Czech couchsurfer) joined us and we had a great lunch. I also learned a lot about Estonia, you don't realize how ignorant you are and how many countries there are in Europe until you meet people from them and realize how different they really are.

I went back to Bristol Sunday afternoon and spent the afternoon with Emily and her flatmates. We went out to a pub in the evening for a pub quiz (like music trivia but just general trivia. A british thing? Maybe I just don't frequent the right pubs in Canada). We ended up coming back reasonably early though (after placing 3rd to last) because they all had class in the morning.

I took the train in the rain to Cardiff today and wandered around until I found the library. They are currently building a HUGE new library (opening 2009) so the library is set up in a temporary location with murals of books to hide the fact that it's a temp building. It's kinda neat though.

I'm meeting a couchsurfer this afternoon named James. Tomorrow I'm seeing Jackie for lunch or something then I'm meeting a different couchsurfer for a place to stay tomorrow night.

Hopefully the rain stops so I can take up some pictures.