It's raining in Spain

Category: , By Peter
Posted on May 10.

On Monday, I met up with a couchsurfer named Vera for a coffee. We got along really well and I ended up staying with her. We cooked vegetarian food (which actually wasn't that bad) and watched an American show called Weeds. It was pretty funny.

I spent the next couple days exploring Lisbon but didn't do many of the "touristy" stuff. On Wednesday I went to the Castillo de Sao Jorge but that's it. I'm finding that I'm enjoying meeting people, trying to learn the language and learning about the culture than being a tourist. Ah well.

On Wednesday I was pampered by a couchsurfer named, Margareth. She picked me up from the train station, cooked a huge dinner, and packed me a lunch for the train ride the next day. She was very sweet. I took the train to Salamanca on Thursday and to my chagrin the train left at 4PM (I thought it left at 11:30AM and had arrived at 10:30AM) and didn't arrive until midnight!

The train ride itself was actually a lot of fun. I chatted for the first hour with a girl who was going to a horse show and to play her viola. But she was a law student. She was really nice though. I was later joined by a Canadian couple from Toronto (originally from France and Italy though) and they helped entertain me on the rest of the train ride. They had done a lot of traveling and had some great stories to share so the time went by fairly quickly.

I was picked up by Vlad in Salamanca and went to bed. Yesterday Vlad (a photographer from Russia) and I went out in Salamanca for a bit and met a Brazilian girl for coffee and the afternoon. Vlad had some amazing stories to tell about his travels and has a really cool story about how he met his wife. It shows that when things are meant to be, they will be. That night we (Vlad, Sara (his wife), myself and some friends) went out to learn some Spanish dancing. It was fun even though I wasn't very good but I blame it on my shoes not being able to stomp satisfying enough.

Today it's raining but there a Couchsurfing gathering tonight so that should be fun. I'm thinking of spending the weekend here and heading on to Valencia next week.

You can see new pictures on Facebook and HERE.