Heidelberger beer isn't very good

Category: , By Peter
Posted June 17.

So from the limited response I've gotten from my email campaign, my visa doesn't help me and I'm limited to 3 months.

Shitty.

Anyways I successfully hitchhiked from Wageningen down to Heidelberg in Germany (about 500KM) on Friday. I met some pretty cool people all along the way. I got picked up by a Polish truch driver who barely spoke English for a little while. He pointed to the radio and said "Polish techno" and we sat there and listened to Polish techno for half an hour. It was fun though. Then on the completely opposite side of the spectrum, I got picked up by a CEO of some German company in a BMW M5 (expensive car). He took the car up to 250km/h to show me that the Autobahn can be exciting.

There's a strong CS community here in Heidelberg so I've spent a lot of time hanging out with them as well as my host, Clarissa's, friends. It's kinda like Lisbon where we've been drinking in the streets except in Heidelberg it's so expensive to drink that only people with careers are out. Which is too bad. And bad for the budget.

Last year I had a bunch of German couchsurfers come and stayed with me (5 of them arrived in a van). I got to meet up again with one of them, Uli, who's studying in Heidelberg. Hopefully I'll get to another one, Frank, tomorrow as well.

I've been wanting to find a music festival to go to for a while and I finally decided on one in Belgium called Rock Werchter. It's in the beginning of July and costs €165 (about 230). Which is expensive. But it's 4 days long and has a great line-up. You can see the site HERE . It should be fun.

I think I'm going to head back to England for a few weeks to get prepared for the festival and to "save" some Europe travel days. It will be nice to stay in the same place for a few days as well.

I haven't really taken too many pictures but I'll try to remember to take some more. It's hard playing tourist.

Thursday I need to make another 500Kms hitchhiking. Wish me luck.