The Netherlands is very small

Category: , , , By Peter
Posted on June 9.

So it turns out that the Netherlands is 238 times smaller than Canada. I mean I always new it was small but it's SMALL.

On Wednesday I recovered from the night before and had a nice relaxed day. I know all my days are precious but at the same time it was really nice to be able to have a day to just relax.

On Thursday I decided to head to Den Hague to ask some visa questions. My problem has always been that I can only travel within the Schengen Union for a total of 3 months within a 6 month period. So for me this means I can travel from for a total of 90 days between April 29 and October 29. Which sucks

I found out though that if you have a work visa for one of the Schengen countries the rules are different. Now I have a UK visa and the UK isn't actually part of Schengen but British people don't have the same Schengen restrictions either so I thought I may as well ask. My plans will be entirely different if I can travel for longer than 3 months.

So I hitchhiked to the Hague (in the rain) only to find that the British Embassy was there but not the Consulate. Bah. So I wandered around the Hague for a while, hitchhiked the Rotterdam and spent an hour or so there before hitchhiking back to Wageningen. Such a small country!

While traveling in Portugal, I met a dutch woman named Carolina so on Friday I went to visit her in her little town of Ammerstol (between Utrecht and Rotterdam). I spent a couple nights there and she took me to see Rotterdam (cool and very modern looking, it was bombed during the war and rebuilt very modern-y) and the Hague (we went to the beach where it was warm but foggy, really weird).

I'm having trouble finding a place to stay in Amsterdam but I'm hoping to head there tomorrow (if I can find a place). Afterwards perhaps on to Germany? I'm not sure. I guess it kinda depends on how things go when I go see the British Consulate in Amsterdam. Wish me luck.

I'll see if I can put some more pictures up tonight.