New friends, movies and clear skies

Category: By Peter
Monday morning I was feeling significantly better than Sunday morning so I decided to be productive (It didn't work but I had good intentions). I went down for my daily fix of internet at the library then headed down to get some insoles for my shoes. My shoes have been great but I was pretty sure I would need some more support to trek Europe. I also picked up some groceries and made it home in time to catch some Topgear before going out again.

I had plans to see my First Cousins Once Removed (I think) Mary and Charles. I had a nice afternoon with them and they dropped me off downtown at about 5:30. I had plans to see a movie with Colin (the couchsurfer I met the other day) at 8 so I had some time to kill.

I made some calls home then decided to find somewhere to eat. It was about 6:30 by this point and most of the shops downtown closed about 7. I devised a plan to see if I could make some friends to get dinner with so I wouldn't have to eat alone.

I wandered around until I saw some suitable looking girls in one of the shops (It's a lot easier to play the Canadian card wit girls than it is with guys) and asked them where I should go to eat. We started chatting, they closed the shop up around me and took me out to a nice student pub for dinner.

I had to sprint back to the theatre to make it in time for the movie but it turns out I needn't have bothered. There are about 10 minutes worth of commercials before the movie starts and then plenty of trailers. We watched the movie "21" though and it was actually pretty good. I would recommend it.

The night ended uneventfully (Colin and his friends needed to work Tuesday) so I went home and went to bed.

Tuesday, I awoke to the first clear skies I'd seen since arriving. Really! Clear skies in England! I made my way to the library as is becoming the norm, went downtown, got a new card for my camera (the one that I brought with me kept corrupting pictures), got a business card holder to hold my business cards, looked around a bit and then headed back to Paula and Del's for dinner.

I've heard from some couchsurfers in Bristol (available this weekend or so), Brighton (available sometime in the next while) and in London (available next weekend, 25/26) so we'll see if I can make some plans work.

Oh and I put some pictures up. You can see them both on Facebook or here http://picasaweb.google.ca/phawker/Portsmouth .