Spinnaker Tower and Downtown Portsmouth

Category: By Peter
Yesterday I hopped on the bus which ended up taking me downtown Portsmouth. I chatted with an elderly lady at the bus stop (trying to figure out how much the fare was going to be) but she ended up being quite talkative and directed me down to Gunwharf.

Turns out Gunwharf is down at the Portsmouth Harbour and has lots of touristy stuff. I had the option of looking at some old ships but they didn't look that interesting and I decided to avoid them.

I did however go up Spinnaker Tower which is a 110m tower shaped like a sail on the harbour. It had a great view and I got some neat pictures standing on the glass floor, I'll see if I can get them online in the next couple days.

I looked around Gunwharf but it was mainly expensive shops and expensive restaurants so I left quickly. I hopped on another bus which ended up taking me along the seawall. I met a nice Polish girl on the bus who suggested I check out the D-Day Museum which was along that way. I had a look around there for a while and learned some neat stuff. It's kinda cool getting a different perspective on the war than the Canadian one.

I was running out of time so I headed back uptown to Viv's house where I got picked up by Mark (my 2nd cousin once removed (I think) Stephanie's husband). He took me out for a couple pints and then we picked up some chinese food to take home for dinner. I had a great time visiting with their family and got to meet their 7 year old daughter, Connie (my 3rd cousin once removed? I don't know).

Today I've been out with Paula and Del (cousins again but I'm not sure how exactly) and we've been for a walk in Bosham, lunch in Emsworth and then back to their house so I could get my internet fix for the day.

Honestly it's hard being so disconnected. I'm actually contemplating getting one of those cheap and small eePC laptops like my Aunt and Uncle took travelling with them. We'll see.